Lucas Meyer House & Museum

http://www.accommodationvryheid.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Lucas-Meyer-Huis-Olivia-Maritz.jpg
Vryheid Historical Buildings

Lucas Meyer House & Museum N-O h/v Landdros- & Markstraat

President Lucas J Meyer het die perseel waarop die woning gelee is in Augustus 1885 aangeskaf.  Hy het in ‘n kleiner weergawe van die huis wat deur Mr Cherry ontwerp is gewoon saam met sy eerste vrou Margaretha Johanna van Niekerk en later tot sy dood in Aug 1902 met sy tweede vrou Petronella Burger.  Veranderinge en uitbouings is aan die huis is toe deur haar aangebring in 1922-1923.  Die argitekte was Inge en Jackson van Durban.

Lucas Meijer built this house for his wife during 1884. It was designed by Mr Cherry. Additions were done in 1922-1923, yet the building remains an exceptional example of Cape Dutch revival. It is beautifully detailed with elegant late Art Nouveau decorations. All wood is Oregon pine and Rhodesian teak and the ceiling in the music room is made of moulded sheet-iron. Lucas. J Meijer died in 1902, his widow Petronella remarried in 1909 to Mr Bob Foord. After his death, she lived in the house until 1961 when she died at the age of 89.

Petronella Foort

Mr Houston bought the house and leased it to several institutions, i.e. Child Welfare, Barclays Bank, Technical College, Municipality Offices end eventually it became Pottery and Art studio. The municipality bought it during 1987 and started with renovations. In February 1991 the Museum opened its door to the public as a Cultural Historical Museum. Behind the house, in the garden is a baking oven and a few old farm implements. Today this Museum also serves as a living Museum where meetings, training and educational events are frequently presented. The later disgraceful  division of the Northern Garden for a Modern Building is regrettable

Geskiedenis van Luckas Meyer Huis / History of Lucas Meyer House   

1884    President Lucas Meijer bekom die eiendom op die hoek van Landdross- en Markstraat as president van die Nieuwe Republiek /President Lucas Meijer as president of the New Republic  acquires the property Corner Lannddross- Mark Street

1885    Mnr. Cherey ontwerp en bou die oorspronklike Lucas Meyer Huis vir die President in Augustus 1885 /Mr. Cherey designs and builds the original Lucas Meyer House for the President in August of 1885

1892    Margaretha Johanna (née van Niekerk), eerste eggenoot van Lucas Meijer sterf op 12 Feb / Margaretha Johanna (née van Niekerk), first wife of Lucas Meijer dies on 12 February.

1894    Lucas Meijer trou met Mej Petronella Burgers./Lucas Meijer marries Miss Petronella Burgers.

1902       Op 8 August sterf Lucas Meijer in Brussels, Belgium aan ‘n hartkwaal  / On 8 August Lucas Meijer dies of a heart disorder in Brussels, Belgium.

1909       Petronella Meijer trou met  Prokureur Robert Gordon (Bob) Foord op 14 July in the NG Kerk Vryheid / Petronella Meijer weds attorney Robert Gordon (Bob) Foord on 14 July in the NG Church Vryheid

1922/3 Petronella Foord  laat uitgebreide aanboeunungs aan dieoorspronklike huis doen / Petronella Foord effects extensive extensions to the original house

1961    Petronella (Mumsie) Foord sterf op 4 November op 89 jarige ouderdom / Petronella (Mumsie) Foord dies age 89 on 4 November.

1962    Die Huis word uit Mev foord se boedel gekoop en aan Stephen Schoeman gegee as ‘n Trou geskenk  / The house was bought out of Mrs Foord’s estate and given to Stephen Schoeman as a wedding gift.

1969      Tony Houston plaaslike sakeman en Prokureur koop die einedom by die Schoemans. Nadat dit enkele jare leeg gestaan het, word die huis verhuur aan die Vereniging vir Kinderwelsyn ; Barclay’s Bank; Die Tegniese Kollege; die Departement van bouplanne van die Vryheid Munisipaliteit en uiteindelik ‘n pottebakkery- en kunswinkel / Tony Houston buys the property from the Schoemans. After standing empty for some years, the house was rented and occupied by; the Children’s Welfare Organisation; Barclay’s Bank; the Technical College; the Building Plans Department of the Municipality and finally, by a pottery and art shop.

1987   Die Eiendom word verkoop aan die Vryheid Munisipaliteit wat die aanvoorwerk doen vir die restourasie van die huis en die inlywing daarvan daarvan by die huidige Museumkompleks /  The property is sold to the Vryheid Municipality, who initiated its restoration and incorporation into the present Museum complex

1990  Die Plaaslike Geskiedenis’- uitstallings word gevestig / The ‘Local History’ displays are installed